Sweet potatoes are the new “it” vegetable: delicious, nutritional powerhouses, inexpensive, and endlessly adaptable. In Sweet Potatoes: Roasted, Loaded, Fried, and Made into Pie (Clarkson Potter | September 5, 2017 | $16.99 | Hardcover), author Mary-Frances Heck pushes beyond the typical dishes served at Thanksgiving, exploring both their sweet and savory sides with creative, low-maintenance recipes for everyday eating.
Sweet potatoes take well to many preparations, though most people only think to bake them whole. This book leaves no stone unturned, providing techniques for roasting, baking, steaming, boiling, mashing, coal roasting, frying, and spiralizing. Covering an impressive array of cuisines, Sweet Potatoes presents dishes that draw on seasonal and global influences, from West African Sweet Potato Leaf and Fava Bean Stew to summery Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Garlic-Maple Glaze.
Other chapters and recipes featured in the book include:
- IN THE ROUGH: Coal-Roasted Sweet Potatoes; Sweet Potato Puree; Sweet Potato Fries the Easy Way
- BIG BITES AND SMALL PLATES: Buffalo Sweet Potatoes; Sweet Potato–Apple Butter Crostini with Speck; Shrimp and Sweet Potato Kakiage
- SOUPS AND STEWS: Thai-Style Noodle Curry; Braised Sausage, Lentils, and White Sweet Potatoes; Sweet Potato, Celeriac, and Scallop Chowder
- SIDE DISHES: Cracked Sweet Potatoes with Chiles and Coconut; Charred Purple Sweet Potatoes with Sambal Butter; Tamales
- MAIN COURSES: Black Date Chicken; Sweet Potato Ravioli with Sardella Sauce; Sweet Potato Tacos
- BREADS AND BAKED GOODS: Spicy Italianate Flatbread; Sweet Potato Chocolate Babka; Sweet Potato and Raspberry Muffins
- SWEETS: Black-Bottom Sweet Potato Pudding Pie; Sweet Potato Ice Cream; Summer Fruit Cobbler
With 60 boldly-flavored recipes, as well as a glossary of different sweet potato varieties, Sweet Potatoes will inspire home cooks to reach for them every day—as a go-to for snacks, weeknight meals, and so much more.
# # #
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Mary-Frances Heck is a food writer, recipe developer, and chef. She was the former test kitchen director at Bon Appétit, and her editorial work has appeared in numerous magazines, including Lucky Peach, Saveur, Cooking Light, Rachael Ray Every Day, Redbook, Rodale’s Organic Life, Fitness, Self, and Shape. Her recipes and writing have appeared in many cookbooks, including Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes, The Wurst of Lucky Peach, Lucky Peach Presents Power Vegetables!, All About Eggs, and Justin Smillie’s Slow Fires.