Reclaim the potluck!
Modern Potluck by Kristin Donnelly
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Assistant Director of Publicity, Clarkson Potter
firstname.lastname@example.org | 212.572.6186
Reclaim the potluck with this cookbook and guide for modern home cooks that delivers portable, photograph-worthy dishes packed with bold flavors, along with variations to suit any dietary preference or crowd size
BEAUTIFUL FOOD TO SHARE
by Kristin Donnelly
Potlucks have been around for generations, and for good reason: they’re the perfect fix for easy get-togethers! While gathering a group for some good eating is more popular than ever in 2016, the dishes that come to mind with the word “potluck” no longer have appeal (Canned-cream-of-chicken-soup-laden casseroles? No thank you!). Enter former Food & Wine editor Kristin Donnelly’s Modern Potluck: Beautiful Food to Share (Clarkson Potter | July 26, 2016 | $27.50 | Hardcover), the ideal resource for recipes that appeal to today’s tastes and are best suited for holding up on the buffet table.
The recipes in Modern Potluck revitalize the traditional potluck with salads, sides, entrées, and more that excite and satisfy modern palates. The flavors are bold, calling on such ingredients as spicy harissa, nutty quinoa, and fresh herbs. These recipes are sturdy enough to handle transportation, can be scaled up and down with ease, and aren’t fussy about serving temperature. Plus, not only are recipes labeled gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian, there are also tips for adjusting recipes to fit certain needs, like substituting nut milks for dairy.
Sample recipes include:
- SNACKS, DIPS & DRINKS: Roasted Carrot and Curry Hummus with Lime; Smoked Fish–Onion Dip; Riesling Punch with Gin, Cucumber, and Lime
- MAIN-COURSE SALADS & OTHER ROOM-TEMPERATURE MAIN DISHES: Middle Eastern Seven-Layer Salad with Quinoa; Oven-Poached Japanese-Inspired Salmon with Two Sauces; Flank Steak Lettuce Cups with Lime-Hoisin Dressing
- SLOW-COOKED & SERVED HOT: Slow-Roasted Lemon-Soy-Honey Pork Shoulder; Pumpkin Beer-and-Turkey Chili with Butternut Squash and Beans; Spiced Beef and Lamb Meatballs
- THE 9 X 13-INCH PAN: CASSEROLES & THE LIKE: Late-Summer Vegetable Enchilada Pie; Smoky Squash Mac & Cheese; No-Noodle Lasagna with Mushroom Bolognese and Ricotta
- SUPPORTING-ROLE SALADS & SIDES: Vegan Caprese Salad; Roasted Red and Sweet Potato Salad with Candied Bacon and Scallions; Cucumber Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- BAKED & SAVORY: Asparagus Quiche with Rye Crust; Caramelized Onion, Gouda, and Pecan Scones; Caramelized Kimchi Corn Bread
- SWEETS: Strawberry Jam Cheesecake Bars with Buckwheat-Almond Crust; Potato Chip–Crusted Magic Bars; Lemon–Olive Oil Zucchini Bread
- CONDIMENTS & OTHER THINGS IN JARS: Salt-and-Pepper Candied Cashews; Cilantro-Pumpkin Seed Pesto; Vanilla-Spiced Cranberry Jam
These recipes are the perfect response to the age-old question of “What can I bring?,” but there’s no reason to save them for parties; their make-ahead qualities make these recipes perfect for weeknight cooking too. With 105 recipes, color photographs, and lots of practical information such as how to pack foods for travel, Modern Potluck is the ultimate cookbook for gathering friends and family around an abundant, delicious meal.
# # #
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
KRISTIN DONNELLY is a food writer and recipe tester and developer. Before launching her career as a freelancer, Kristin was an editor at Food & Wine for eight years, writing about healthy eating and wine pairing. She lives in Bucks County, PA, with her husband and their daughter and created Stewart & Claire, an all-natural line of lip care products.
# # #
MODERN POTLUCK: BEAUTIFUL FOOD TO SHARE
by Kristin Donnelly
On sale July 26, 2016
$27.50 hardcover | ISBN 978-0-8041-8711-4
|Select Advance Praise for Modern Potluck
“Isn’t it time to share dishes that represent how people cook today, full of vibrant seasonal vegetables and punchy flavors? . . . If you need to wow your gluten-free, allergy-ridden, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan cousin and make your meat-happy carnivore brother-in-law happy with the same dish, this is the book for you.”
“With ease and authority, Kristin Donnelly’s Modern Potluck delivers a collection of inspired recipes for our generation of conscientious home entertainers and cooks. Packed full of tips, potluck party strategies, and instructions for even the most hesitant home cook, it’s as unfussy and approachable as it is enticing. Modern Potluck is, put simply, exactly how I want to eat. And I know my hungry family and friends will agree!”
“Dial up your next potluck with this contemporary collection of everything from nibbles and dips to cookies and cocktails. With an accent on fresh flavors, Modern Potluck will make any party a hit. And don’t forget to invite me!”