Read it and eat it: The Expats and Affogato with Smoky Almond Ice Cream
Affogato with Smoky Almond Ice Cream from The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee is a perfect match for Chris Pavone's sophisticated thriller.
You’ll be hard-pressed to put down The Expats, by Chris Pavone, which is both expertly crafted and fiercely intelligent. Just like you won’t want to let go of the Affogato with Smoky Almond Ice Cream that the authors of The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee have created.
2 cups (475 ml / 464 g) heavy cream
1 cup (240 ml / 242 g) half-and-half
2/3 cup (4.7 oz / 133 g) sugar
3 tablespoons carob powder
2 tablespoons mezcal
6 egg yolks (3.9 oz / 114 g), at room temperature
1/2 cup (2.8 oz / 80 g) almonds
5 shots (125 to 175 ml) espresso
TO MAKE THE ICE CREAM
1. combine the cream, half-and-half, sugar, carob, and mezcal in a heavy medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until bubbles begin to form at the edges, between 180°F and 190°F (82°C and 88°C).
2. Put the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup of the warm cream mixture and whisk until well blended. Repeat five more times, until 11/2 cups of the cream mixture have been added and the egg yolk mixture is as warm as the remaining cream mixture.
3. Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan in a steady stream while whisking constantly. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl. Press plastic wrap onto the surface and refrigerate for at least 3 hours and up to 12 hours.
4. In a heavy medium skillet, cook the almonds over medium heat, shaking often, until fragrant and slightly brown, about 5 minutes. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop.
5. Freeze the cream mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions, adding the almonds almost at the end of the churning time. Transfer to a container, cover, and freeze until firm, at least 3 hours. The ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
TO ASSEMBLE THE AFFOGATOS
1. Divide the ice cream evenly among five cups or bowls and pour a shot of espresso over each. Serve immediately.
The Expats Book Excerpt