Food Network star and New York Times bestselling author Melissa d’Arabian proves that healthy home cooking can be easy, affordable, and achievable with ingredients from your neighborhood grocery store
Supermarket Healthy: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a Lot
- Imprint: Clarkson Potter
- On sale: December 30, 2014
- Price: $24.99
- Pages: 288
- ISBN: 9780307985170
In her highly anticipated second cookbook, Food Network personality and New York Times bestselling author Melissa d’Arabian proves healthy eating can be easy, affordable, and achievable with ingredients from the neighborhood grocery store. In SUPERMARKET HEALTHY: Recipes and Know-How for Eating Well Without Spending a Lot (Clarkson Potter/Publishers; on sale December 30, 2014; $24.99; Trade paperback), Melissa—a trusted resource on healthy and affordable family home cooking—busts the myth that healthy home cooking requires trips to specialty stores for fancy and high-priced ingredients.
Publishing just in time for the most popular New Year’s resolutions to eat better and save money, Supermarket Healthy is the ultimate toolkit for every home cook who wants to do both, without sacrificing flavor or variety. In today’s health-conscious world, everyone wants to feel good about what they are eating and what they are feeding their families; in Supermarket Healthy, Melissa shares more than 130 family-friendly (yet company-worthy!) recipes—each including nutritional information—to show readers how to spend with purpose, cook with love, and savor healthy, homemade meals. In addition to the recipes, Melissa features her color-coded top tips for shopping, cooking, and entertaining as well as healthy Blueprints—easy-to-follow skeleton strategies for recipes such as trail mix, frittata, salad-in-a-jar, meatballs, skillet-glazed vegetables, and slow-cooker meals—perfect for mixing and matching ingredients to create endless options in the kitchen.
Rooted in the way she cooks and eats at home, Melissa created Supermarket Healthy from a health-conscious perspective and with a focus on recipes that feature ample protein, healthy fats, slow-burning complex carbohydrates, and plenty of vitamins and nutrients. Whether looking for healthier takes on indulgent classics, ethnically diverse dishes spanning countless cuisines, unexpected ways to use everyday ingredients, or new ideas to shake up your weekly mealtime menus, this cookbook celebrates dishes that are as friendly to your waistline as they are to your wallet.
Supermarket Healthy includes recipes such as:
- Breakfast: Healthy Breakfast Benedict; Kale Breakfast Salad; Cinnamon Popovers with Cream Cheese Glaze
- Snacks: Grilled Zucchini Pizza Bites; Almond-Chocolate Panini; d’Arabian Family Protein Bars
- Soups and Stews: Creamy Cauliflower “Baked Potato” Soup; Pork and Rice Noodle Pho; Lentil Soup with Turkey Sausage and Chard
- Salads, Wraps, and Sandwiches: Southwestern Chicken Salad with Smoked Paprika Dressing; Fried Green Tomato, Bacon, and Spinach Sandwich; Artichoke, Red Pepper, and Mushroom Melts
- Veggie Mains: Roasted Zucchini “Lasagna”; Portobello Steak-Frites with Sweet Potatoes; Acorn Squash “Fondue”
- Pasta: Rigatoni with Turkey Meatballs; Shells and Shrimp with Lemony Bread Crumbs; Tuna Noodle Bowls
- Fish and Seafood: Oven-Baked Crab Cakes with Tangy Yogurt Sauce; Grilled Orange-Glazed Tuna; Snapper with Broccoli Pistou and White Bean Salsa
- Chicken and Turkey: Spicy Honey-Mustard Chicken; Lemon-Thyme Turkey Pita Burgers
- Beef, Pork, and Lamb: Greek Pork Chops with Zucchini and Feta; Slow Cooker Beef Rice Balls; Lamb Tagine with Squash and Prunes
- Sides: Roasted Whole Cauliflower with Brown Butter; Creamy Brown Rice “Risotto”; Curry-Glazed Carrots
- Dessert: Flourless Fudgy Dream Cookies; Vanilla and Blueberry Cheesecake Pudding; Roasted Fruit and Homemade Ricotta
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
MELISSA D’ARABIAN was a corporate finance and strategy executive before becoming a stay-at-home mom to her four daughters. Well-known as the season five winner of Food Network Star and as the host of Food Network’s Ten Dollar Dinners and Cooking Channel’s Drop 5 Lbs with Good Housekeeping, she also developed the acclaimed FoodNetwork.com series The Picky Eaters Project, serves as a lead judge on Guy’s Grocery Games, and is the author of the New York Times bestseller, Ten Dollar Dinners. Melissa has an MBA from Georgetown University and lives with her family in San Diego. Visit her at www.melissadarabian.net.
# # #